Monday, June 20, 2011

[Magazine][ENG] 2PM on Cosmopolitan July Issue


Scans blog.naver.com/satosatos

Junho

Q. You’re a rather serious character right? The way I see it, your personality should come in a way with your entertainment business activities…

A. Actually, it does get in a way a lot. It’s not that I’m shy, but I can’t exaggerate well, so as a result I can’t talk funny all the time. So, since it is expected to spill interesting stories in talk shows and so on, I can’t really spice up the atmosphere well.

Q. Let’s be honest, as a man in his early 20s you must have a desire to have fun, and to have a love life. Isn’t it frustrating that you can’t do it freely?

A. Since I’m in my 20s the blood is sure boiling. But I think that in these circumstances rather than having a love life, I should just do the things I’m supposed to do. Besides, I’m not the type who craves for love very much.

Q. The things you’re supposed to do, that you are talking about, is it your current job?

A. That’s right. My hobbies of dancing and singing have become by occupation, so I want to give my all and do even better.

Q. You won the “Superstar Survival”. I actually hoped it wouldn’t ruin you, since you chose this path so early on. You could’ve easily done something else, but you were determined to stay here.

A. Not really. I sometimes think that I should’ve started walking down this path even earlier, like such people as Michael Jackson or Justin Timberlake. If so wouldn’t my skills be a lot better now?

Q. It might seem a bit rude of me to say so, but just as 2 years ago, you still seem the most timid among the members.

A. Your observation would be accurate. Honestly speaking, I think I felt intimidated up till now. It seems like having won “Superstar Survival” didn’t turn out too well for me. Even though I was more lacking than other friends, I remained in the company. Usually you are getting an expulsion from the company if your skills are not up to the standard, but somehow I managed to avoid being targeted. Even so I didn’t seem to be stuck with one team project for a longer period of time. So at one time I started to have thoughts like “Is it ok for me to be here?”. I lost faith in myself, thinking that the company was holding onto me, because it didn’t have other choice as I have won the survival show. I thought I belonged neither in that place nor among those people. Then I was 16 years old. I felt intimidated and the sense of inferiority just kept on building up. I felt that way even after the debut, so that’s why I looked timid. I guess that was the reason.

Q. Are you OK now?

A. It got a lot better. Sometime around, while I was talking to Taecyeon-hyung, I came to realize that there was no reason for me to feel intimidated. If I enjoy doing everything, I’ll be able to do everything a lot better. Hyung said that if I do so, I’ll be able to get my self-confidence back. So I tried doing that, and I really came to enjoy everything little by little. I was able to do things better, and my confidence grew. So lately things have gotten a lot better.

Q. What was your original dream?

A. I wanted to be a football player, and a baseball player, and I also wanted to be a computer programmer. Come to think of it, I also wanted to be a professional swimmer. But I guess the thing I wanted to do the most was dance and singing.

Q. Then your dream came true, right?

A. The dream might have come true, but it’s not the end to it. It feels like it’s just the very beginning. I need to do even better if I want to make my dream perfect.

Q. Then what’s your final dream?

A. I don’t know. I think it would be enough if I became a good person. As a musician and as an actor. I want to be versatile and good at various things, so I want to live giving by best to developing these kinds of skills. I think it will also become my way of donating and contribution.


Wooyoung

Q. Right before the Japanese activities you have injured your finger, is it ok now?

A. I got the inflamation in the cartilage while training, so it doesn't heal that fast. There’s not much strength in that finger.

Q. I hope it heals fast. It seems that all of the members are not entirely healthy.

A. Because everyone is very busy. There are Japanese activities, then 2nd album preparations and then personal schedules, so it’s only natural that everyone’s tired.

Q. Do you think this new album is going to successful?

A. To my mind, it’s going to be a hit. If no accidents happen.

Q. Accidents? Ha ha. Right, you’ve had a big accident in the past.

A. Was it just one? There were quite a few. And there were a lot of rumours.

Q. Was it annoying that lies were spreading fast from lips to lips?

A. It’s not like one could say otherwise, and even if it could be refuted, nothing would be resolved, so one just had to let it go. Even though I have received negative comments before; that time it hurt a lot. After that I never read comments ever. I can’t even bear to see the words which other people spill out so mindlessly. I try not to look at anything, because I know it would poison me.

Q. It’s just your 4th year in the entertainment business. During this time you’ve experienced a lot of good and bad moments. What is the hardest thing being a celebrity?

A. I would be lying if I said there are no hardships, right? I think the pressure to show your best appearance and to keep on running and working fast is really big. It feels like gradually it only gets harder. And people just want more and more. It hasn’t been a year or two, but there are junior singers already, and a lot of eyes watching us. If we want them to think “As expected 2PM are different”, we need to keep on learning, but it is hard in this kind of situation. We’re busy with schedules, and have a lot of things to do personally as well.

Q. 2 years ago and during “Wild Bunny” days you broke away from yourself, and established yourself as an all-kill variety and drama character. From a viewer’s point of view, ever since then you were brimming with self-assuredness, but how did you see that opportunity yourself?

A. Definitely not like that. Rather than that, back then my self-confidence was always at the bottom of the floor. It got totally destroyed while dancing and talking silly. It put me down. “Ay, whatever,” just like that. When I entered JYP, one by one I met people, who were a lot better looking than me, were taller and could dance better. Then my self-confidence just vapoured away. Even worse, I realized that my self-confidence was missing only in the 3rd year since our debut. I think the lowest point in the absence of my self-confidence were the “Wild Bunny” days. Back in the days people used to say: “You’re the kid who danced well.” If you look at it from the other angle it means that I can’t dance now. I tried hard and joined JYPE hoping to become one of the best dancing singers, but ever since then I haven’t heard anyone say that I dance well. It’s of no surprise that my self-confidence got dented, I’ve cried a lot because of that.

Q. Surprisingly, it didn’t look like it at all.

A. Because I behaved as if I was very confident of myself. It didn’t look like it, because I kept on smiling. I’m still trying to get my self-confidence back. I’ll need it if we’re going to climb even a higher mountain.


Taecyeon

Q. The Japanese debut song has been received well. Where you expecting this kind of reaction?

A. It was better then we’ve expected. Actually, no matter how strong Kpop might be, our team didn’t know how well we could do. We were clueless, because we went forth with a bubbly image and a song which was different from the one we were supposed to debut at first. We didn’t know what to expect, because our Korean songs usually had intense rhythm and sad lyrics, but the Japanese debut song “Take Off” came out to be very bright with a kind of “Ahahaha” feeling.

Q. They say that you’re the most popular member in Japan.

A. Me? Who said so? Not true. Chansung and Khun are very popular. I know that I can’t match them. It’s true!

Q.  You’re saying it out of politeness, but if the reaction really is that big, then it’s really tough. Haha. It’s been 1000 days since 2PM’s debut, right?

A. Actually, it’s been a little bit more than 1000 days now.

Q. Do you realize that this kind of nitpicking personality is very tiresome for other people?

A. Hahahahahaha.

Q. Have you changed during those 1000 days, I mean a lit bit more than 1000 days?

A. I guess I became more perceiving. “That’s how the things go!” With this, I came to realize how the company is working. And I think I figured out how the shows are working, so I found out various shortcuts which now help me to do more efficiently the things, which I used to suffer blindly without any consideration. And if we’re talking about changes, I guess the limit of my patience has grown a lot?

Q. What do you have to be patient about?

A. Reasonless evaluation. Before the drama “Cinderella’s sister” was broadcasted, there was a dispute about my acting abilities. My first appearance was in episode 5, but before episode 5 was aired, actually, even worse, even before the shooting started there was a fuss all over the viewers’ board. I was yet to appear, but comments like “Ok Taecyeon can’t act” were plenty already. They were talking about such things. Compared to how I used to be, my patience grew tremendously and I don’t get shaken by such reactions ever since.

Q. Actually, back then the acting was a bit awkward. Haha. But with the recently finished drama “Dream High” your acting skills seem to have rapidly improved.

A. No, it’s still a long way to go. Hahaha. Really, I still have a long way to go.

Q. Are you planning to keep on acting?

A. I think I’m leaning towards acting more than other members. I’m thinking of doing everything if I have a chance to live as a different character again. I wish one day I would be able to overwhelm people with just a sole power of my eyes acting, just like Lee Byunghun.

Q. Not so long ago you announced that you were giving up on your permanent residency, and decided to join the army when the time comes. It doesn’t seem to have been an easy decision, haven’t your parents been against it?

A. My parents were really against it. But I managed to persuade them saying that it was a good decision for 2PM and for myself.

Q. What is your final dream?

A. Raising a happy family.

Q. Most of the 2PM members mentioned happy families; you’re going to become great dads.

A. Oh really? Well, that’s very likely, because our members are all very fine men. Aren’t we?


Junsu

Q. You’re set to appear on “Immortal Song 2”. Are you feeling pressured?

A. The program itself is similar to “I am a singer” and its main concept is to prove that idols can also sing. I’m feeling pressured because I need to match these expectations. I think that I need to work even harder, because there is this pressure.

Q. How would you like to present yourself during the program?

A. I’ve seen the previous stages, and I want to show a perfectly polished performance, because that’s what I can do well.

Q. You’re not going to do a variety? You were really funny during those few occasions that you came on variety shows.

A. For now I want to focus on music programs rather than variety. Hahaha.

Q. You debuted as a singer-songwriter with “Don’t go” from the “Dream High” OST list. But why did you choose JUN.K as your stage name?

A. It’s a name given by a friend. He’s a Korean Japanese and he kept on calling me like that ever since we were kids. I had a talk with the members, saying that I liked the sound of the name and if I ever became a songwriter I would use it, so eventually this name was taken. If you say “Junsu”, you instantly think of 2PM’s Junsu, but with JUN.K it feels like I can show you my music to the fullest.

Q. How did you feel when you debuted as a singer-songwriter? It must’ve been like a dream come true.

A. It felt better than I expected. Because other people sang the songs that I’ve written. Kan Miyoun did it, and then I sang together with Lim Jeong Hee. It’s really fascinating how it is possible to convey your own emotions to other people by composing.

Q. Have you changed after your debut? It feels that it is easy to change once you leave the hard trainee life and become a celebrity.

A. It’s been 7 years since I became a trainee. When I think about it, I wasn’t cocky, even a bit. I’m the type to treat with respect even those people whom I see for first time. Even a thought of being stuck up, made me want to try harder in not being a conceited person.


Nichkhun

Q. It’s been 3 years already since you came to a foreign country and began your activities as a member of 2PM. What was the biggest change that Nichkhun experienced during that time?

A. I can’t sleep as much as before. I think I haven’t had a decent recent up till now.

Q. So you’re spending your 20s without a proper rest, only working, even though you’re hailing from world of wealth and splendour?

A.  There’s no other way out if this, because people are interested and I keep on receiving their love and support. Members are always dissatisfied with something, so it’s what keeps us moving on with our activities. To be honest, I’m rather scared to think of what I would be doing now if I hadn’t become a member of 2PM. I would’ve been a nobody. My head hurts just by thinking about it.

Q. How do your relieve your stress and anger?

A. I don’t have many methods. Because there’s simply no time. I don’t do much except for training or eating something tasty. I think it’s the best to overcome stress by resorting to positive thoughts.

Q. Even though you’ve debuted all together, the level of popularity among you is slightly different. Aren’t there any problems because of that among the members?

A. None. When I was doing variety, Taecyonie and Wooyoung were busy filming for the drama. Junho and Junsu were writing songs and Chansung was training in the gym, so everyone was too focused on what one was doing for any quarrels to arise. We’re just good rivals for each other. We’re stimulating each other to go forward.

Q. Your most favourite field is dancing and singing? Or is there some other sphere you like?

A. Actually, I didn’t want to be a singer. So I didn’t have a desire to do well in these fields. But so it turned out that I become and trainee although compared to other members I couldn’t do much. I knew that perfectly well, but I was a bit annoyed to hear from people all around me saying that I was no good. I mean, I didn’t even want to be a singer. When you think about it, I really was no good. But as I debuted, and kept on singing and dancing, I really grow to wish to be able to do well in this field. I want to build up my skills and be recognized by anyone as a person who can sing and dance well.

Q. What is your final dream?

A. I want to become a good dad. For the oncoming 10 years I want to earn money earnestly, and then open a cafĂ© or a restaurant in Korea, or Thailand or the US. And since I will have a lot of free time, I will be able to spend it with my child. Because children are having it really hard if their parents are very busy. Children who grew up with busy parents had it tough with this and that. I don’t think it is right. I know it because I went through this myself. That’s why I’m trying hard to earn enough money right now. Really.


Chansung

Q. You’ve begun your activities in Japan. How was the reaction? We’re actually really curious about it, because we could only see it through the foreign press.

A. It was better than we thought. And we felt a little bit of pressure. We were worried at first, but I think that having overseas activities for our team turned out to be a good experience.

Q. It’s been 3 years since your debut. You’ve lived as 2PM’s youngest for 3 years, what have changed in you the most?

A. Regarding the TV programs, could I call that a particular type of culture as well? Anyway, compared to the very beginning, I got used to the broadcasting culture a lot. According to the situation the cause and effect relationship are visible, and even if they’re not, it’s now possible to infer them.

Q. There were a lot of debuts during this period of time? Is there a singer or a group which pushes you to go forward?

A. It’s hard to say… Honestly, I don’t watch TV. So I don’t really know who debuted and so. I’m also simply doing my job the best that I can, so I don’t really care about what others are doing, or how others can make me jump further. Actually, I don’t really have time to worry about that.

Q. Didn’t you have a rest since your debut?

A. We really haven’t. I honestly want to get some rest. I haven’t gotten a decent rest ever since 11th grade when I debuted in “Unstoppable High Kick”.

Q. Then have you thought of saying “Let’s rest a little bit”?

A. Even though I want to take some rest, the passion for my job is even bigger. Personally, I don’t think it’s a bad thing to spend my young days in such a busy manner.

Q. When you say so, it seems like 2PM’s youngest is all grown up.

A. Ah. Is that so? Well, either way, that’s what I think. Then again, I am a serious type, so much I’ve heard other people say I’m ‘sick with seriousness’.

Q. You lived together with the members like a family ever since the trainee days. As the youngest you probably had a lot of things to learn from your older members since you are always together.

A. There’s really a lot one can learn from the members. Firstly, Junho has a strong determination, Khun-hyung is very broad-minded, Taecyeonie-hyung has a calculating character so he can handle things objectively, Wooyoungie is very witty and clever. And finally, Junsu-hyung loves the music so much, even though he’s the eldest, he’s the type of a character who treats the younger members really well without any restraints.

Q. Have you ever thought about your life after your career as an idol?

A. I don’t know what would be important after the idol career, but my life’s role model is Jamie Foxx. He’s a versatile entertainer, who’s active as an actor and a singer. My purpose is to be able to work like that for a very long time.

Q. But then, why aren’t you acting lately?

A. I don’t know myself. I want to, but it feels like there’s no right moment. But if I don’t get anything now, later on I would just work hard with any type of character, even if it didn’t suit me perfectly.


Source: 2pmalways

No comments:

Post a Comment